Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Karma




Many people have told me lately that I need to pursue having someone investigated for financial elder abuse. I don't feel like a victim of this woman, even though she took advantage of someone I loved dearly.

My 86-year old uncle lived alone and was somewhat isolated because of poor hearing, which made him vulnerable. He also had a heart condition that took his life in January of this year. I miss talking with him and the good times we had together.

Long story short, a woman who is an unlicensed caregiver convinced him that he needed a will, so she plucked one off the internet, which he signed and had witnessed and notarized. When he passed away, my family and I asked her to produce a copy of it, which she refused to do. When I finally saw it a month later, he had left everything to her. He never told any of us that he even had a will, so I'm pretty sure she took advantage of his vulnerability to cash in on what she saw as a big payday.

Part of me says to just let it go and part of me says that I don't want her to do this to anyone else. If I can save even one elderly person from being taken advantage of, then my direction is clear. I must do what's right and seek justice or I will be just like her. I don't want to be like her.

Her karma will catch up to her sooner than later. (Sometimes we need to give karma a helping hand).

If you suspect someone might be the victim of elder abuse, speak up! I'm going to.

No comments:

Post a Comment